These paired passages, or paired texts, meet the demand for more complex texts that students can use to compare and build knowledge to integrate information and draw conclusions. The passages in this set are in the “stretch” range for 2nd grade. They are leveled for third grade readability. For this reason, I would not recommend giving these as independent reading in second grade. They work well in whole group or small group close reading and annotating lessons!
I have included printable AND Google App formats of the passages along with the multiple-choice and constructed response questions. There are seven multiple-choice questions (each question assessing a different standard) and one constructed response/essay question PER PAIR.
The printable passages are provided in two styles.
⬆️ Please check out the preview for a look at the resource! ⬆️
This set contains two pairs of informational passages and one fiction/nonfiction pair (six total passages) about mysteries of the deep.
⭐️ Loch Ness and Megalodon
⭐️ giant squid, and lion’s mane jellyfish and anglerfish
⭐️ mermaids: informational passage and also an excerpt from The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen
WAYS TO USE THIS RESOURCE:
- whole group or small group modeling
- read and annotate the texts together, then provide the questions for comprehension check, allowing students to use the annotated passages
- completely independent practice for students reading above 3rd grade level
WHY TEACHERS LOVE THESE PAIRED TEXTS:
- students enjoy the topics of the passages (no yawns through lessons)
- integrate social studies and science content into ELA to maximize much-needed time
- the multiple-choice questions cover a variety of standards per paired set, and they require students to go back into the text for the answer (not basic-level comprehension)
- digital formats are self-grading
- having both printable and digital formats allows teachers to transition seamlessly from in-class to virtual learning, or use in paperless 1:1 classrooms
SEE IT IN ACTION:
Click here to see a blog post showing how I model purposeful annotating!
INFO ABOUT THE DIGITAL FILES:
The assessments are provided in Google FORMS. The multiple-choice options will be shuffled for each student, and the items will be automatically scored.
The passages are provided in Google SLIDES and can be annotated by adding text boxes. Students could use lines to underline or draw arrows with the line tool. I have also inserted a “highlight box” on the title of each passage. Show students how to select the box, then copy and paste it to use for highlighting purposes in the text. They can resize the box by dragging the corners to highlight only what they need.
You could allow the students to use their annotated passages for their assessments by having them share the screen (or “split screen”) for both files. I have also included the passages at the top of the assessments.
Get a free digital pair of texts delivered to your inbox, along with more useful information about implementing paired texts in your classroom.
Do you need upper grades paired texts about mysteries of the deep? Grab them here!
Please remember, this purchase is for the use of one teacher. It is not intended to be shared. Please use the ‘additional license’ purchase if more than one teacher will be using it. Thank you!
Copyright © 2016, 2017 Ideas By Jivey, LLC
All rights reserved by author, Jessica Ivey.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.